The Association of the European Signature Dialog was founded in Vienna to enhance networking, facilitate the exchange of information and to develop a common plan to improve the regulatory framework for Electronic Signatures and Digital Trust in Europe.
The first ESD event, which was held last year in the presence of Mr. Andrus Ansip, Vice-President of the European Commission, indicated a common lack of expertise with already approved EU Trust regulations. EU authorities expressed great interest in strengthening the cooperation with signature providers.
The European Signature Dialog founding document includes the following guidelines:
- Enable harmonized cross-border transactions
- Increase awareness about eIDAS (electronic Identification, Authentication and Trust Services) to foster and accelerate the digital transformation of the European economy
- Promote personal data protection
- Empower European solutions for guaranteed data-security
- Develop a European Cloud Infrastructure, based on local infrastructure and European law
Jere Vento, Avaintec Oy:
“ESD is an important and unique forum to influence the development of a thriving market for digital services. The legal framework for trust services and eSigning is still confusing for many companies and consumers. The purpose of eIDAS legislation is not to complicate things but rather to boost digitalisation throughout Europe. The users of these services don’t care about the framework, they only care about delightful experiences and meaningful services. The EU has a chance to boost the growth of digital services or it can complicate things for European companies; but it can’t change the fact that in the end, user experience always trumps everything.”